Popular cheers to young batters???
s***@excite.com
2005-06-27 03:56:40 UTC
Does anyone know of a list of cheers for young batters?

Such as ...:
1. "Be a hitter!"
2. "Wait on your pitch."
3. "Swing batter, batter."

Thanks.
Steve Cutchen
Good Eye!
Tim M
2005-06-27 04:22:34 UTC
It only takes one! (that wasn't the one.)

A walk's as good as a hit! (actually, no, it isnt)

We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher! (we want a catcher, not a belly
scratcher!)
Bucky
2005-06-27 06:32:09 UTC
Post by Tim M
A walk's as good as a hit! (actually, no, it isnt)
Why not? Do you mean if there are baserunners? Or are you counting
extra-base hits? Or is it because a walk is *better* than a single
(causes the pitcher to expend more pitches)?
Tim M
2005-06-27 07:31:49 UTC
Post by Bucky
Post by Tim M
A walk's as good as a hit! (actually, no, it isnt)
Why not? Do you mean if there are baserunners? Or are you counting
extra-base hits? Or is it because a walk is *better* than a single
(causes the pitcher to expend more pitches)?
Well OK, if no one is on base, a walk is as "good" as a single. But
not really. Because in youth baseball, there are way too many walks
anyway. Walks are boring, they aren't much fun for anyone, they don't
test the defense, they don't ever lead to an error which might get you
another base.

And, there are always the kids who are afraid to swing and miss or make
an out, so they go up there and crouch way down and hope for a walk.
When I played little league, "a walk is as good as a hit" was yelled to
batters who were afraid to swing, making them feel better about lucking
their way to a walk. This isn't good baseball.

Of course, to become a good hitter, you need to learn not to swing at
bad pitches. Thus, good hitters will tend to draw lots of walks. But
they don't go up there WANTING to walk, they want to hit a line shot
someplace. No one ever yells that phrase to the team's top hitter.

Major Leagues? Boggs' bases loaded walk in the 1996 World Series? Now
THAT was a great walk.
l***@gmail.com
2005-07-03 05:32:56 UTC
Post by Tim M
Well OK, if no one is on base, a walk is as "good" as a single. But
not really. Because in youth baseball, there are way too many walks
anyway. Walks are boring, they aren't much fun for anyone, they don't
test the defense, they don't ever lead to an error which might get you
another base.
Yes they do... Ball 4, as the ball goes to the backstop... batter
sprints to first and tries for 2nd base... catcher throws wildly to 2nd
base... batter/runner scores. I've seen it happen a few times in Little
League. :)
Tom MacIntyre
2005-07-03 14:13:23 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Post by Tim M
Well OK, if no one is on base, a walk is as "good" as a single. But
not really. Because in youth baseball, there are way too many walks
anyway. Walks are boring, they aren't much fun for anyone, they don't
test the defense, they don't ever lead to an error which might get you
another base.
Yes they do... Ball 4, as the ball goes to the backstop... batter
sprints to first and tries for 2nd base... catcher throws wildly to 2nd
base... batter/runner scores. I've seen it happen a few times in Little
League. :)
One team in my son's 9-12 league last year exploited this weakness
frequently, several times per inning sometimes. I'm glad he has decent
control this year...he's maybe hit the backstop twice in 8 innings so
far, 4 BB and 18 K's. He's still allowed 11 runs, only 4 earned. It's
early in the season... :-)

Tom

Bucky
2005-06-27 06:30:19 UTC
Post by s***@excite.com
Does anyone know of a list of cheers for young batters?
3. "Swing batter, batter."
Did you mean positive cheers? I thought this one was a negative one to
try to induce the opposing batter to swing at a bad pitch.